Whether you have a special evening ahead or going for a coffee with your friends, you don’t need to have a team of stylists to look fantastic. Really, you don’t! Many hairstyles of spring/summer 2014 are made in under 15 minutes, which even the busiest of us can afford to spare.
We’ve rounded up hair trends for Spring/Summer 2014. Yes, we still have a few more weeks of winter to get through, but its always good to be prepared.
SS14 trends seem to focus on ‘raw, natural beauty’, classic looks with minimal fuss and when it comes to hair the distinctive feature of this season is – healthy hair with natural shades. The glossier the hair, the better!
Ladies, start planning your new season makeover now – with some help from our guide to spring/summer ’14’s biggest hair trends.
The low ponytail
Simple yet effective, the low ponytail is among the hairstyles to master your spring-summer look. Secured low at the nape of the neck or lower, it’s low-maintenance hairstyle that you can finish with a spritz of hairspray. Add a simple bow or a black headband to your ponytail to achieve that effortless yet very chic look. Too good to be true?
Very easy and quick, feminine and oh-so-elegant, this is a hairstyle that can make you look taller, and you can wear it with almost anything!
The ballerina bun can be worn high up on the top of your head or down lower near the back of your neck. You’ll need a few invisible pins, as well as a bit of patience and creativity.
Here are 3 simple steps to do it:
- Tie hair back into a high ponytail with an elastic band. Brush the strands so they’re smooth and tangle-free.
- Grab the base of the ponytail, below the elastic, with your left hand. Take your right hand and bring the ponytail around, making a loop. Pull the tail end through the loop to create a loose knot.
- Fold the loose ends of the tail around the bun and secure with bobby pins. Mist with hair spray.
Perfect for formal occasions, as well as less for formal events. It will look elegant, compliment your dress and accessories at your friend’s wedding. Yet for a busy day at office, it will give you a polished and professional look. While there are many updo styles, even more ways to make them, our favourite updos are chignon and twisted styles.
Here are a simple step by step guide on how to make chignon updo:
- Collect hair into a ponytail at nape of neck and secure with a clear or hair-colored elastic
- Pull the ponytail through a chignon pillow (found at beauty supply stores).
- Wrap hair around the pillow.
- Secure with bobby pins.
- For a sophisticated and clean look, slick hair back. For a more romantic look, try a sideswept front.
For an easy and quick tutorials, check this how-to videos by The Small Things Blog:
Again, feminine and classic would be the words to use. Ladies, spring’s biggest trend is laid-back, fuss-free beach waves. All you need are curling iron, a volumizing gel and a hairspray. Looks effortlessly cool, it works for everyone at any age. Even without naturally wavy hair, you can get beach waves in under 15 mins with a few simple tools and tricks.
It’s all about the details, and braids are a huge trend for SS14. They are very easy to do, look cool for hot summer days and there are so many variations to try. Whether glammed up for the night out or casually tousled at the beach, braids can be worn everywhere and will add a touch of style instantly.