Travelling after Brexit: What can we expect

Brexit and Travel

You don’t have to be a seasoned traveller or regular to Europe to worry about the effects of Brexit. With the news changing seemingly every day, it can feel like you’re caught in the middle of a storm. No matter what your opinions of Brexit are, we know there’s going to be a lot of things changing in the coming months.

The Immigration Advice Service has noticed an increase of both EU and UK citizens worried about their rights after Brexit. Definitive answers are few and far between with negotiations changing every month.  Whether it’s a future holiday, plans for expatriation or visiting family you will probably need to know more about immigration and how it’ll affect you.

So what are the options for us after we leave, what can we expect?

The non-EEA option

At the moment, anyone from outside of the European Economic Area. (So the European Union member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.) Must apply for a visa to come to the country. For tourists coming to the UK they will need a ‘Visitors Visa.’ As it lets people come to the country for a period of six months. There is a worry in the Home Office that people are using short-term visas as a means to stay in the country for a longer period of time. A person applying for this visa must show proof of ties back to their home country demonstrating employment or strong family ties.

The interesting option

For European’s currently living the UK; there’s a current campaign for them to ‘register their interest’ in acquiring documentation to stay in the UK. It’s anticipated the right to stay in the UK for a period of time based on their work. (Low-skilled and high-skilled or the current sections floating around at the moment.) One of the main components of Brexit will be the halt of free movement of labour. So it’s possible if you want to go to Europe for a long period of time or even permanently your employment will be the defining factor.

ETIAS option

European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) visa is an option coming for anyone waiting to enter the Schengen area. Although Brexit wasn’t the catalyst for it, when we leave may have to get an ETIAS visa before visiting Europe. Like the Visitor Visa, an ETIAS visa will mean checks surrounding personal information and security. But a positive of this visa is it will last up to five years meaning. So you won’t have to endure checks every time you want to go on a city break.

The road to leaving the EU is stretched out in front of us. And for many, travel is going to be the main thing affected. What it means to travel will change over the next few years with surprises along the way. Knowing what to expect it will save you a lot of grief when it comes to planning your holiday in the years to come.